|Project title||Springfield House|
|Contract type||New Build 8,000sq ft Private Residence|
|Location||Harrogate / Wetherby area|
On recommendation, the Client made a direct approach to Dobson's to construct a new family residence designed by Malcolm Tempest Architects. Whilst completely "new build", the property draws its character from two distinct period Architectural styles. Traditional rustic, with random stone walls, hooded stone mullion windows, and a "later period" Georgian "extension". This forms the main body of the house with symmetrical, well proportioned elevations. Formal stone entrance steps and a stone portico frame the main entrance door which opens into a grand entrance hall. A sweeping staircase leads to an oval landing which echoes the period oval roof lantern above.
Malcolm is perhaps best known for his creation "Forbidden Corner" Middleham. Malcolm's enthusiasm for this "folly inspired" architectural style is put to good use at Springfield House in the swimming pool entrance arches. As well as providing a grotto style link between the indoor pool and landscaped garden, the "grott" stonework arches rest under a terrace enclosed on three sides by grott stone pillars with decorative railings. The pillars are topped by ornate cut stone cupolas.
The result is a truly magnificent family home full of character and charm in both form and function. These attributes are fully complimented by incorporating the very best in current construction technology from insulation in the fabric of the building to bespoke end user systems. A very successful synthesis of Architect's imagination and Contractor's knowledge, know how and co-ordination.
Construction commenced July 2009 and completed July 2010.
A brief description of the works are as follows:
- Demolish existing 1970s house.
- Excavate basement to form pool leisure complex level and a south facing “grotto” glazed area.
- Form pool structure & retaining walls in reinforced insitu concrete with external tanking and insulation.
- External walls of random/ashlar masonry.
- Beam and block floors, insulated and screeded incorporating wet system under floor heating.
- New traditional casement/large sliding sash windows.
- Bespoke Mechanical and Electrical installation.
- Specialist integrated and controllable lighting/audio/visual and security systems
- High end tiling/screens/kitchen and bathroom fitting out.
- Externally to the south there is a terrace to the Georgian section and entertaining area above the swimming pool entrance which can be fully opened up with retractable glazed folding sliding doors.